Monday 17 August 2009

EDFs, BLDC motors and ESCs

On past projects I'd always try to do everything for the absolute bare minimum in terms of money spent. This often lead to long delays as I had to do everything the hard way. This time round I've had to admit that I shouldn't re-invent the wheel (making my own ESCs for example) when I can make better progress by using off the shelf components and stitch it all together with my own stuff where needed.
Even though Dave Powers says that VTOL with EDFs is very difficult to do (and he has much more experience than I do), I still feel it's within my ability. And after all, I do seem to like to make life difficult for myself!
eBay!
I found some 90mm EDF units complete with 3600kV BLDC motor and 40A ESC for a very reasonable price on eBay. They're from Hong Kong, so when they finally arrive, they may not be the best, quality wise, but they'll get me started. I've got three sets on order, for about the same price as one set if bought separately through hobby websites or high street hobby shops. eBay has also provided:
  • 2 pairs of mechanical retracts for the landing gear.
  • 20 pairs of 3.5mm gold connectors for motors/ESCs.
  • Servo tester to aid early tests and setup.
I won't need batteries and charger until much later, I'll use an umbilical during development. I think most of the construction will use carbon tube, balsa and plastic sheet and extrusions.
Fingers-crossed everything turns up, and in working order.

No comments:

Post a Comment