Thursday 3 September 2009

Balanced rotors

I tried balancing the rotors with slivers of electrical tape (as I'd seen done on YouTube) but they appeared to be more out-of-balance than I thought. I ended up balancing the rotors with "Blu-Tack", adding a little each time.
Sorry about the poor image quality (damn iPhone).

I mounted the balanced rotors back in their housings and powered up for another test. This time I had a current meter set up to measure total current. Although the balancing still isn't perfect it is a huge improvement, with much less vibration evident. I ramped up the power and the rig started to get light. The current clamp showed ~20A. By ~30A the rig was "hovering". Amid the noise, wind and threat of exploding plastic; I dared to wind up the power some more and at ~64A the rig was actively trying to reach the ceiling. That was just before one of the rotors whizzed passed my head! I'd secured the rotors to the "shaft", but neglected to check if the rotor adapters were tight on the motor shaft. Luckily, no damage done. I'm sure I've barely reached half "throttle".
Next job: tighten shaft adapters and start on stiffer airframe.

No comments:

Post a Comment